Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Icebreaker

With a little extra time on my hands and strong dollar I couldn't resist the temptation to do a little shopping. Christchurch has several cool outdoor stores and I had learned from one of the super friendly Kiwis that their end of season clearance sales are in full swing. I jumped on that. I found some great deals, including a down vest for $15 US.

And I bought a ton of Icebreaker. Icebreaker.com NZ is known for their wool (80 million sheep here in this country and something like 4.5 million people. Go figure.). Icebreaker is a New Zealand company that is making an amazing merino wool product meant for insulating and layering in cold weather conditions. The big sell, wear and wear the clothes time and time again and they won't get stinky like capaline. Icebreaker markets their products as organic, sustainable, makes you feel good buying it sort-of-stuff. Well. I learned yesterday while talking with the locals, that Icebreaker wool is grown here and the material is made here, but the clothes are cut and produced in.... yup, you guessed it, China. Bummer. Locals' suggestion? Check out Survival Merino clothing ( http://www.survival.co.nz/ ) 100% kiwi made and produced. I, of course, donated to the cause. ;)

1 comment: