Thursday, March 19, 2009

4 Wheelin' in the Hyundai



We decided to take a day off from the rigors of adventure travel... biking, kayaking, trekking, what not and decided to rent a car for the day so we could explore the Northwest side of the Abel Tasman National Park (there is a mutha of a hill that separates the town where we are staying from this part of the park and Dad said riding that hill was a no go. Once I saw the climb, I understood...).

So, we walked down the road from our campground and rented a Hyundai (sp?) for the day. $30 U.S. for a day's rental. Not bad considering what we put that poor thing through. I mean who knew that a little compact 2 wheel drive hatchback could 4 wheel through the back roads that Dad took me through as we explored the Abel Tasman high country. It mightily crossed a couple of fairly deep stream crossings to boot! (water coming up over a hood is never a comforting sign, right?) I love my Dad!

We hiked along a sub-tropical tree fern trail that took us to a beautiful waterfall where we had to cross a swinging cable bridge. Other than a couple sandfly bites, we were in heaven.

After exploring the park, we were back on the road after heading up the coast to find some fresh water thermal springs. And then!


Me: "Dad, do you hear that noise?"

Dad:"Its the wind, roll up your window."

Me: I roll up my window, then "Dad, I still hear that noise, you hear it?"

Dad: "Roll your window up tighter."

Me: After checking that all windows were up and secure... "I still hear it and feel a vibration."

Hmmmmmnnnnnn....

We pull into a gas station where 'Big Guy' (this one is NO Hobbit!) takes a test drive with Dad to see what the noise is all about. They come back and decide a plastic piece under the front bumper is the culprit and after some snips, the plastic piece is removed. (we'll deal with the evidence later, we quickly agree) Must of been those darn river crossings, Dad says.

So, we are back on the road and its not 100 yards that I hear the noise again. (conversation from above is repeated. No joke.) :) We pull off the road and into a little parking lot for a hospital of all places. Dad crawls under the engine and sees that the other side of the car is doing the same thing.

Dad: "Adria, see if you can find anything that we can tie this piece of plastic out of the way with."

Me: Like a little fledgling baby blackbird with my first big assignment, I flitter off in search of baubles, string, or some shiny thing. I walk into the hospital... and find some of the plastic string that is used to bind packaging. SCORE!

Dad, in true McGyver fashion, attaches the plastic up and out of the way and we are back on the road! I love my dad!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! McGyver was Grandpa Vaughts favorite TV show! Thanks for the great laugh!
    Happy Spring Equinox. Perhaps you experienced the Spring Equinox when the possum was shrieking and calling you out towards the magical, mystical moon.....mmmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story...with a happy ending. :) That's my Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone... I talked to Adria and Greg this evening and Adria wanted me to let you know that she probably won't be able to update this blog for a couple of days. They spent the day in Picton and will ride about 60 miles tomorrow to Kaikoura, then back to Christchurch.

    ReplyDelete